Thailand Legal News
Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)’s plan to increase tax on vacant lands, disguised as agricultural lands (15 August 2022)
According to the current regulations, the land and building tax for lands used for agricultural purpose is collected at the rate of 0.01 – 0.1%, compared to rate of 0.3 – 0.7% for vacant lands. As a result, many people have tried to avoid paying the heftier tax by planting agricultural crops on their vacant lands, especially in the metropolitan area which the appraisal price is remarkably high. To deal with this, BMA proposed the solution by increasing tax to 0.15%, the maximum rate allowed by the law, on the lands used for agricultural purpose in commercial, industrial, and warehouse zones. The BMA had already drafted and submitted the draft regulation to the Bangkok City Council for approval.
country EV industry with the goal of making Thailand the base for EV manufacturing. The subsidies are as in the table below.
THB 500 million support for SMEs’ online cross-border selling (23 August 2022)
- The Cabinet approved the fund for the SMEs’ Pro-active project, aiming to boost the country’s export, via online cross-border commerce platforms, and to encourage Thai entrepreneurs in entering online platforms. Under this project, SMEs are eligible for up to six times of THB 100,000 (max THB 600,000) support fund, to help pay for the registration and marketing on online platforms.
Extension of visa-on-arrival for foreigners to up to 45 days (19 August 2022)
- CCSA has approved the extension of visa-on-arrival for foreigner visiting Thailand from the maximum stay of 15 days to 45 days. The scheme will begin from 1 October 2022 for the period of 6 months. The measure is aimed to boost economic recovery as the pandemic eased.
The amended Copyright Act came into force
- The amended Copyright Act came into force on 22 August 2022. The amendment creates a new mechanism for copyright infringement material on online platforms. Moreover, it also extends the protection period for copyrighted photographs.
Change of the Office of BOI organization (23 August 2022)
- The cabinet has approved the internal reorganization of the officers of BOI, as listed in the table below
Extra tax deduction for purchase of biodegradable plastic products (18 August 2022)
- The revenue department issued an announcement allowing the purchase of biodegradable plastic goods to be used for tax deduction to up to 25% of the value of the purchase. Therefore, the purchase of biodegradable plastic goods is entitled to up to 125% of the purchase value. (100% for normal expense deduction + 25% for the extra tax reduction under this announcement) Examples of biodegradable plastic goods under this announcement are plastic bags, single use plastic, plastic straw, and plastic cup lids.http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2565/D/063/T_0116.PDF
Zero tax rate on diesel and fuel oil (23 August 2022)
- The excise department imposed zero% tax rate on diesel and fuel oil for electricity productions sold to Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) in an attempt to help aid the rising energy cost.